Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Constitution Class may kill me yet ...


So, first off - like the genius I am, I made a mistake in the book title yesterday - I am reviewing Ùndead & Unwed" - which is still Queen Betsy #1 - I am currently listening to (yay for audible, right?) "Undead & Unemployed". Anyways - now onto the post!
___________________________


So this is the first in the series about Betsy Taylor (ha! ha! Elizabeth Taylor, right?) Anyways, since my summaries suck, I am taking the one from the Borders website:
A just-laid-off secretary has a really bad week when she dies and is then made Queen of the Undead.
Hm... well, okay. It is succinct I guess.
Onto the review!

I liked it!
I was not sure if I would - but hey, chick lit usually turns some pleasure sense in my brain on, and this was no different - except, Betsy, the main character - is the ultimate Valley Girl with a Heart of Gold ... and fangs. It was well written and more importantly for this kind of initiation of a series - fast paced. A lot happens in this book - Betsy dies, becomes a vampire, faces off against two powerful and slightly chauvinistic old male Vamps, makes a new friend (Marc) that irritates best friend (Jess), undoes a conspiracy against ... well, her, and more! And it ends in a way that leaves you running to go get the next in the series - I mean, will she or won't she continue this insane journey into the supernatural? And as a royal!?

I would recommend this book for those who like:
1) a Quick beach read
2) Women who kick ass
3) Tongue in Cheek humour

Davidson's writing is witty and light - she deals with complex issues by hitting them straight on and then taking the off the shoulder, quirky approach, effectively planting an idea in the reader's mind and then moving on before the reader becomes ... shall we say depressed or overwhelmed with the possibilities her nuggets present. I think that this speaks to her talent with the pen.\

In closing, read it! I listened to this one (yay for long trips) much to the boyfriend's chagrin. He was also subjected to "Real Murders" by Charlaine Harris (that one will be reviewed next I think) and "Vampire Academy" by Richelle Mead. I had a file for "Sellivision" by Augusten Burroughs, but that one broke for some reason. WIll have to get around to fixing that ...

_________________________________________
In other news: He whom we know as "The Fledgling Demon" (aka, our US Constitutional Law Professor) may yet suck the soul out of me. I see it in his beady little eyes....
To temper this - LS, glorious and awesome as she is, sent me this joke, Enjoy!:

SURGEONS AND THEIR FAVORITE TYPE OF PATIENTS
5 Surgeons were having a chat:
The first surgeon, from New York , says, "I like to see accountants on my operating table because, when you open them up, everything inside is numbered."


The second, from Chicago , responds, "Yeah, but you should try electricians! Everything inside them is color-coded."

The third surgeon, from Dallas , says, "No, I really think librarians are the best; everything inside them is in alphabetical order."

The fourth surgeon, from Los Angeles , chimes in: "You know, I like construction workers. Those guys always understand when you have a few parts left over."

But the fifth surgeon, from Washington, DC, shut them all up when he observed: "You're all wrong. Politicians are the easiest to operate on. There's no guts, no heart, no balls, no brains and no spine, and the head and the ass are interchangeable."


No comments:

Post a Comment